Hello my pretties.
After I posted the Best and Yummiest Carrot Sheet Cake Recipe Ever the other day I was blown away by how much you guys enjoyed that post (Yay, thank-you!!). Sooooo, I thought why not continue the love and happiness by providing you with more sugar and a lot of chocolate. YES! Now for a Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe…it was just a natural progression you guys. Inevitable. Sheet cake recipes are just so awesome for so many reasons eg. you can feed at least 16 friends, transport it easily, cover it easily, stack it easily (say if you made 2 or 3 for a school fair or something) and the ratio of icing to cake is just perfect.
I was considerate though, don’t you think, for not posting this recipe mid-week? I was mindful of the fact that many of you may actually be trying to eat well Monday-Friday.
So now that it is Friday….that chain of thought ends today, right? Right?!! Hello, Chocolate Sheet Cake?
Okeeeee, now that we are on the same page…. 🙂 Let’s talk about this magical cake. Some time ago I posted a chocolate cake called “Mom’s Chocolate Cake” (from Chef Brad) and it didn’t get a huge amount of attention which was such an injustice because the cake was heaven on a plate let me tell you!!! Perhaps the name of the recipe wasn’t a good choice from an SEO perspective? Nonetheless, it was moist and rich and all things that a good chocolate cake should be.
And then I did some research and investigating and this recipe was actually almost identical to the Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe. So Brad’s moms chocolate cake was in fact Ree’s chocolate cake or Ree’s Chocolate cake was Chef Brad’s mom’s chocolate cake. Anyway, the point is that we had Pioneer Woman’s standards right here on JustEasyRecipes and we were none the wiser, except we knew that the cake was AMAZINGGGGGG!
Long story short, I made a few adjustments to the “Moms Chocolate Cake” recipe that we had on here originally, baked it as a sheet cake and now it’s called The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe in Town!
- 250ml water
- 250g butter
- ¼ cup cocoa, heaped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs lightly whisked (I used a manual beater for 1 minute)
- ½ cup plain yoghurt or buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 90ml melted butter
- ⅓ cup plain yoghurt / buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a medium sized pot, add the water, butter, cocoa and coffee and bring to the boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, remove the pot from the heat and add the sugar, flour, salt, bicarb and mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Don’t overmix.
- Add the whisked eggs, yoghurt/buttermilk and vanilla essence. Mix until smooth and combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased, rectangular baking dish (I used a 35 x 22cm dish) and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy
- Ice the cake once it has cooled.
- Savour and enjoy eating piece after piece after piece 🙂
For More Chocolate Cravings…Try these Popular Recipes
Try the Chocolate Brownie Pudding recipe – this is my go-to pudding recipe when I’m in a rush. It is delish!!!
Or you may just feel like making some Yummy Chocolate Cupcakes???? Uh Huh!!
What about these wicked No-Bake Nutella and Coconut Squares?