Frikkadels (serves 4-6)
Frikkadels – South African braised meat balls – is a popular comfort food. This easy recipe will give you great results every time. Just make sure you get all the ingredients together before you get started – as there are quite a few spices involved!
500g minced beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground paprika
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- Form the meatballs by rolling portions into balls and pressing down slightly to flatten them.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the meatballs on both sides.
- Reduce heat and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Serve on top of creamy garlic mashed potatoes.